Nutella Icebox Pudding
Author: Derek Amato
- ⅔ cup of milk
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- ½ cup of sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tbls of cornstarch
- 6½ oz of Nutella/half of a jar
- 2 tbls of Frangelico, optional
- 1 box of graham crackers
- Line an 8 inch square pan with plastic wrap and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, warm the milk, cream, and ¼ cup of sugar to almost boiling.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, ¼ cup of sugar, and cornstarch.
- Temper the egg mixture by pouring in the hot milk mixture VERY slowly while whisking constantly until it's all incorporated.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium high heat stirring constantly.
- Once the mixture begins to boil you will see it tighten up quickly, mix for another 20 seconds then transfer to a large work bowl.
- Whisk in the Nutella and Frangelico until smooth.
- To assemble, layer the graham crackers and ½ cup of the pudding starting with the graham crackers and finally ending with the pudding on the very top.
- Make sure the layers are flat, I had to break off the corners of some of the graham crackers to make they lay right in the pan.
- Smooth the ½ cup of pudding completely over the graham crackers, I used an offset spatula.
- I was able to get 5 graham cracker layers and 5 pudding layers, if you see you are running out just cut it one layer short so you have enough.
- Wrap another layer of plastic wrap over the top of the pan and chill it in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours, this makes the graham crackers break down so they are like cake layers.
- To serve you can lift it out of the pan by the bottom layer of plastic wrap or just cut and serve out of the pan, keep refrigerated in between servings.