Pina Colada Upside-down Cake
Author: Derek Amato
- ¼ cup of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup of shredded coconut
- 1 20 oz can of pineapple slices in juice
- 2 tbls of pineapple juice
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the butter in a 9 x 13 pan and place it in the oven for the butter to melt.
- Once the butter is melted remove the pan and sprinkle the brown sugar evenly in the pan then do the same with the coconut.
- Cover the bottom with pineapple slices, pressing on each one to set it, and do not overlap them.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cake mix, pineapple juice, coconut milk, oil, and eggs, and mix until well combined. Set aside for 2 mins.
- Stir the batter again and then pour it over the pineapples in the pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 40 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Flip the pan onto a cookie sheet and leave it there for 5 mins or so.
- Remove the pan and let cool for at least 30 mins before serving.
- Store in the refrigerator.