Author: Derek Amato
- 5 egg yolks
- ¼ cup of sugar
- ½ cup Marsala cooking wine
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 tbls of sugar
- 1 lb of Mascarpone Cheese
- 1 Zabaglione recipe
- 2 cups of the strongest freshly brewed coffee you can get
- ½ cup of Marsala
- 1 tbls of vanilla
- 2 7 oz packages of ladyfinger/savoiardi cookies, with sugar on top
- 3 tbls of cocoa powder
- In the disconnected top portion of a double boiler beat the egg yolks and sugar together until it forms a pale yellow color, meanwhile bring the water in the bottom of the double boiler to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Place the double boiler together and slowly add the Marsala, whisking constantly for about 6 - 10 mins until soft mounds can be formed.
- Move the mixture to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate, at least 30 mins.
- Whip the cream with 2 tbls. of sugar until soft peaks can form.
- Fold in the Mascarpone and Zabaglione until thoroughly blended, cover and refrigerate for another hour.
- Add the Marsala, coffee, 2 tbls. of sugar, and vanilla to a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a 9 x 13 pan layer ⅓ of the cookies and spoon about 1 tbls of the coffee mixture over each cookie.
- Spoon ⅓ of the cream mixture over the cookies and dust with a tbls of cocoa powder, then repeat the layers ending with the cocoa powder on top.
- Refrigerate and serve chilled.