Doughnut Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce
Author: Derek Amato
- One dozen glazed doughnuts
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- ½ cup of unsalted butter, melted
- 1 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- ⅔ cup of hot milk
- ½ tablespoon of cinnamon
- ½ cup of chopped pecans, optional
- ½ cup of raisins, optional
- ½ cup of unsalted butter
- ¼ cup of sugar
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- 1 tbls of flour
- ½ tsp of vanilla
- 1 tbls of whiskey
- Butter a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Cube the doughnuts into 1-2 inch pieces into the dish.
- Whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla, butter, and condensed milk.
- Add the hot milk slowly, continuing to whisk until well blended; add the raisins to the mixture and stir in.
- Pour over doughnuts, mixing and making sure to coat all of the doughnut pieces.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours (in a bind you can bake now, just let it sit for at least 20 mins).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Gently press the doughnuts down into the custard, sprinkle with cinnamon and pecans.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes then uncover and bake for 15-20 more or until it starts to puff up and brown.
- While it's baking melt the butter in a saucepan and whisk in the sugar, flour, and heavy cream and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until thick.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla and whiskey.
- Let the bread pudding rest for 10 mins after it comes out of the oven then serve with whiskey sauce spooned on top.