Chicken Pot Pie
Author: Derek Amato
- 1 pound of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken or about 2½ cups
- 3 medium red potatoes
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 6 tbls of salted butter
- 6 tbls of flour
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of pepper
- ½ tsp of dried rosemary, crushed
- ½ tsp of dried thyme, crushed
- 1½ cups of half and half
- 1 box of refrigerated pie crusts, room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the potatoes in small pieces and place into a microwavable dish, cook until they are fork tender but not falling apart, set aside.
- Pour the vegetables into a microwavable dish and add a small amount of water, cook for about 2 mins.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter, add the flour a tablespoon at a time, whisking constantly, cook and stir for about 5 mins.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth (it will steam up, keep stirring careful not to get burnt), whisking vigorously until there are no lumps.
- Remove from heat and add salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme.
- Stir the half and half in and mix well.
- Add in the chicken, potatoes, and vegetables, taste and add salt and/or pepper to taste.
- Unroll one of the pie crusts into a 9-inch pie pan and gently press down into the corners.
- Pour the hot filling into the crust and top with the other crust, trim off the excess and crimp the crusts together at the edge with the back of a fork.
- Poke the top crust with a fork in a few places to release steam.
- Bake for 15 minutes, remove and crimp a foil strip around the crust edge to prevent burning, return to the oven for 15 to 25 minutes more minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before cutting.